Savoury Pie Crust
“With enough butter, anything is good” – By Julia Child
What is more sinful that a short crust pastry pie? A buttery, flaky, crispy, yet instantly melts in the mouth, crust… have I got your attention now?
I will not be humble today: this is THE BEST piecrust recipe you will ever try.
I have arrived at this recipe after many alterations, trials and tribulations. The most important factor in my opinion is your capacity to ignore the quantity of butter! My proportions are equal portions of flour and butter – yes EQUAL portions! This is what gives that wonderfully delicate flaky bite. I dress it up with various herbs and black pepper and always a pinch of granulated sugar.
This recipe makes enough dough for two pies, and no matter what your reason is (cholesterol/diet), I strongly suggest you stick to these measurements, eat less of it and save the remaining dough for another pie later in the week – I promise you, you will want to!
I use this recipe for savoury tarts, pies and quiches.
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 1 ½ cup cold unsalted butter, diced
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 tsp salt
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 tsp of herbs (optional)
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl, with the salt, sugar and herbs. Then gently, with the tips of your fingers rub the butter into the flour to create a coarse like mixture.
- Create a well in the centre and pour the cold water in; with a fork combine the flour with the water to create the dough. Use your fingers if required, but be sure to not knead too much. Cover the dough in a foil or cling film, and allow the dough to rest in the refrigerator for at least half an hour.
- Once you are ready to bake the pie, remove the dough from the fridge and divide it into two. Roll out one portion as per the size required for your pie tin. It is easier to roll on the cling film or foil. Transfer the rolled out dough to the tin, gently peeling off the cling film or foil from the other side. This dough tends to shrink in the oven, so ensure extra dough at all sides. Place the pie tin in the freezer for another 5 minutes.
- Prick the pie with a fork all over and bake in a preheated oven of 200°C for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and fill your tart with your desired fillings and return to the oven to bake for another 10-15 minutes or as required.