GF Apple + Blackcurrant Crisp
There is something so warm and soothing about apples and blackcurrants reminding me of the English countryside. I grew up on Enid Blyton books where really, all I took from them was an appetite for scones, jam, clotted cream, apple and rhubarb crumble and tea. At the age of 8, I snobbishly indulged in regular afternoon teas simply because the Famous Five did.
A few decades later, not much has changed. Every now and then I like to imagine I live in a faraway cottage in the midst of a pine forest, and all there is to life is reading novels and drinking tea. But of course, life has other plans…
A crisp is the same thing as a crumble, and there are all kinds of debates about the oats inclusion, which I don’t care for. I am going ahead and calling this a crisp, because, the fruit goes in as is (no stewing required) and the gluten free oats make this crispy and crunchy!
This recipe is in collaboration with the wonderful boys at Sattvic Foods, who have the best gluten free rolled oats I have ever worked with! These oats are of great quality, and they hold up extremely well in baking. I have used them to bake cookies and you can be assured the oats will stand out amazingly well. The dried blackcurrants lend the perfect sour taste, and if you aren’t worried about dairy, add a dollop of cream while serving.
This dessert is as healthy as it can get.
Note: Gluten free oats, dried blackcurrants, natural coconut sugar, and organic vanilla are from Sattvic Foods.
- 1 apple, sliced
- 3 tbsp dried blackcurrants
- ½ cup gluten free rolled oats
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tsp organic vanilla essence
- 4 tbsp flaked almonds
- Place the thinly sliced apples close together in a baking dish.
- Sprinkle the blackcurrants over them.
- In a bowl, stir the oats, sugar, almonds, cinnamon and nutmeg together.
- Rub the almond butter and vanilla into the mixture to create crumbs.
- Spread the crumble mixture on top of the apples evenly.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 10-15 minutes at 180°C.
- Serve warm.