Grilled Pineapple Salsa
Creating a fun vegetarian Mexican spread can be challenging – there’s only so many ways to incorporate beans, rice, and tomato salsa.
I try to create different salsas to add an interesting component to a nacho platter – mango salsa being one of them, which is a great option when mangoes are in season.
I make a grilled pineapple salsa for a sweeter variety and an exotic feel – its amazing how a few simple basic ingredients can come together to create something altogether exciting.
The pineapples are diced, and grilled on a very hot non-stick pan with a spoon of brown sugar to caramelize the fruit. This on it’s own tastes amazing and if you dip this in some chocolate it’s even better – particularly on a hot summer’s day!
Back to the salsa…
Toss it with some chillies, spring onions, salt and perhaps some paprika for an added heat – and you’ve got yourself a fancy looking and sounding salsa!
- 1 cup pineapple, diced
- 3-4 spring onions, diced
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 red chillies, sliced
- ½ tsp salt
- Pinch of brown sugar
- Pinch of paprika (optional)
- Toss the pineapple cubes with the brown sugar.
- Heat a non stick skillet on high.
- Toss the pineapple cubes into the hot pan and stir frequently until caramelized up to your liking. Some water will be released, ensure you add that into the salsa bowl as well as it is packed with flavours.
- Toss the remaining ingredients together and add the salt and paprika.
- Serve chilled with chips.