Nutella Stuffed WW Cookie
All over Pinterest and Instagram are these sinful looking pictures and videos of cookies stuffed with Nutella, and the gluttony in me threw the diet out the window and I sat down at the table to attack this recipe.
Now with this wedding season approaching, the effort to stick to healthy choices is required, but is also very painful. And scrolling though Instagram before bedtime is crucifying.
I tried many different recipes, and in the past month I have been working on whole-wheat/wholemeal options in baked goods, which hasn’t always been so successful. But in this recipe adding whole-wheat to compensate for the sugars worked brilliantly.
After countless attempts, I have this one for you – the perfect balance between a denser whole-wheat cookie and the soft Nutella richness. The added dark chocolate chips are necessary according to me – it is after all, a cookie.
The Nutella frozen balls help maintain it’s consistency inside the cookie dough, and melts in the oven to the perfect consistency. You can freeze the Nutella a day before. I suggest you do this right away, so that whenever you crave a cookie, at least your Nutella is ready and making the cookie dough is hardly time consuming.
These giant cookies are soft, chewy, and delicious – and the wholewheat help ease the guilt.
Some of you know that technology is not my forte – I’ve been playing around with videos, particularly on Snapchat. I figured out a way to upload these to Youtube – but these are all work in progress – I promise to get a bit better at them :). Check out some of the videos of the makings here.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- 8 tbsp of Nutella
- Extra sea salt
- On a lined tray, drop 8 spoonfuls of Nutella, leaving some space between them.
- Put the tray in the freezer for a few hours or overnight.
- In a bowl, whisk the melted butter with the sugars.
- Add the whisked egg and vanilla.
- Then stir in the flour with baking powder, baking soda and salt with a wooden spoon.
- Then add in the chocolate chips. The cookie dough will be slightly wet and soft.
- Remove the Nutella tray from the freezer.
- Make mid-sized balls with the cookie dough.
- Create a well in the dough, place a Nutella frozen ball in the centre and gently push the dough to cover the Nutella, making a big ball.
- Sprinkle some coarse sea salt over the cookie.
- Place on a lined baking tray, leaving 2-inch gaps between the cookies (they spread!).
- Place the cookie dough balls in the fridge for 15-20 minutes before baking.
- Bake the cookies for 16-18 minutes in a preheated oven at 180°C.
- Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool on a wire rack completely before eating.